News: filling Station is looking for a new Managing Editor!
2016-01-30 10:58:AM ago by karin.moen
Closes February 16 at midnight
Artwork by Peter Hamilton.
filling Station magazine seeks a volunteer Managing Editor, based in Calgary, to begin in March 2016. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter to lead an established Canadian creative writing publication in an atmosphere of fun, collaboration and innovation, while pursuing professional development in Alberta’s vibrant magazine industry.
The Managing Editor oversees all tasks related to the editorial operations of the magazine. These include fulfilling the magazine’s mandate to publish and promote experimental writing and art; supervising the Editorial Collective to produce three issues of the magazine annually, and to maintain the filling Station website and social media accounts; working with a Circulations & Marketing Manager to ensure effective distribution; and liaising with a Business Administrator with respect to weekly business matters.
The Managing Editor reports to the Board of Directors of the filling Station Publications Society, and manages all members of the editorial collective, including the Circulations & Marketing Manager. The Managing Editor authorizes expenditures and guides revenue-generating editorial and marketing activities, while communicating these to the Business Administrator who ensures outgoing payments, bank deposits, & records-keeping in alignment with editorial choices.
The Managing Editor will:
- Create an annual production schedule for three print issues, and ensure timelines are met by all parties, including editors, designers, & printers
- Ensure suitability and quality of experimental literary & art content
- Set strategies for contests or theme issues, and promote them
- Edit and proofread issues
- Market calls for submissions to the magazine
- Recruit and retain volunteers to fill all leadership roles within the collective
- Run monthly editorial collective meetings
- Provide opportunities to volunteers for professional development; apply for bursaries to support PD opportunities where available
- Maintain professional relationships, with the Alberta Magazine Publishers’ Association and Magazines Canada, as required
- Ensure filling Station is well represented at magazine, literary, & arts events
- Foster relationships with arts and literary organizations in the community, and seek partnerships, sponsorships and collaborations
- Support the Board of Directors in preparing the budget, by providing required data
- Conform to approved fiscal policies about acceptable expenditures
- Authorize weekly or bi-weekly expenditures to the Business Administrator
- Solicit Board approval for major or unusual expenditures, such as those associated with new equipment, software, digital upgrades, and the like
- Oversee use of the filling Station brand by other members of the collective
- Work with the Digital Editor to create and execute an online marketing strategy, including social media, website, and e-marketing
- Oversee advertising initiatives, including ad swaps and purchased ads
- Apply for literary and publishing awards, as applicable
- Work with events collective to plan launches, fundraisers, & special events
- Support Flywheel coordinators, as necessary, with the monthly reading series
While there are numerous different responsibilities, many tasks may be delegated to collective members. The Managing Editor candidate will be a creative writer / literature buff with a keen grasp of experimental literature, and an organized, effective leader.
Qualifications for the Managing Editor role include:
- Editing skills and experience
- Extensive knowledge of creative writing, especially Canadian experimental work
- Preferably, a post-secondary degree in a related field
- Familiarity with the current Canadian literary and publishing climate
- Familiarity with the local literary and arts scene in Calgary
- A strong, confident, empathetic, and innovative leadership style especially appropriate for unpaid volunteer environments
- A self-starting and intrinsically motivated personality
- Superior organizational skills, and a meticulous eye for detail
- The ability to work independently and to inspire others to take initiative
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills, including morale-building
- An outlook of contagious positivity that is indefatigable in the face of challenges
- The ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment
- The professionalism required to be an ambassador for filling Station
- Events management experience
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail, and social media
- Knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, & website content management systems
If you are eager to help grow our exciting, alternative literary magazine, please email a cover letter, resumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting Managing Editor Position in the subject line. The job competition closes at midnight on February 16, 2016.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We look forward to hearing from you.